Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Wacom Cintiq Affordable Alternative - Yiynova msp 19u Review

For years I have wanted a Wacom Cintiq but could not justify the expense. I used a Wacom tablet for many years and while it was adequate for doing digital illustrations, I longed for the day when I would be able to draw directly on the screen. Well, I started doing some research to see if there was a more affordable alternative to the Cintiq. Some of the brands I looked at had very poor reviews.

The reviews for the Yinova line of digitizer monitors had better reviews so I invested in the Yinova msp 19u. At about one fourth the price of a Cintiq I had to give it a try. Well, I have a Dell Optiplex 990 computer which happens to be one of the only computers on the planet that ships from the factory without the ability to use dual monitors. My little HP laptop took the addition of the new monitor with ease so I put the Dell in the shop to be upgraded.

Now, I have a regular monitor on the Dell as well as the Yinova hooked up as a second monitor and I absolutely love it. It did take a bit of time to install the two drivers it requires but once that was done I was off and drawing. The ability to draw directly on the screen and have variable pen pressure in Photoshop, and other programs, is nothing short of awesome. I feel like I've been drawing in the dark ages all this time.

If you are looking for a more affordable alternative to the Wacom Cintiq, I highly recommend the Yinova. You will find a link to it on the left sidebar of this blog. Below is an illustration I did with it for Sammy the Silent Songbird, a children's book. I have been using the Yinova for more than a year now without any problems. As I recall, when I was first hooking it up, I did have one problem and called customer support. The tech guy was quite nice when he told me I didn't have the monitor turned on. Must have fell on my head that morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment