Friday, September 24, 2010

Pen & Tablet and Corel Painter

Two days ago, a package arrived on my doorstep. Inside was the Bamboo pen & tablet and the Corel Painter Essentials 4 software that it came with. I loaded them both onto my computer. It was a quick and painless process. Remember the first time you stepped into an art supply store and felt like a kid in a candy store? This gave me the same feeling. Wow! What I have been missing by not having these tools in my studio. It really is like having a studio in a box. I've already watched the tutorial for both the pen and Corel Painter. The things this program can do just amazes me. I know, kids studying graphic design in college today find this common place, but for this old traditional artist, it has opened up a whole new world. I can't wait to get started. When I was in college, 30 years ago, it was considered cheating if you used an art projector to trace an image. Hah! This computer program will even take a photo and turn it into a Monet painting, complete with a palette of colors matched to one of his paintings, just by pushing a few buttons. Talk about cheating. Thankfully, you can still draw and "paint" with it for those of us who actually do know how to draw and paint.

Speaking of which, I tried using GIMP but all that selecting points and snapping lines and stretching lines to get curves just frustrated me. I suppose that people who are math minded might enjoy working that way, but it just made me want to pull my hair out and run screaming into the woods. Only drawback of Corel Painter is that it is raster based. I'll just have to wait for Adobe Illustrator to get to the vectors. Hey, for only 60 bucks (I bought a refurbished model) I am not complaining. I love the Bamboo Pen & Tablet and Corel Painter Essentials 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment