Thursday, September 16, 2010

Digital Pen & Tablet

Trying to draw on a computer screen with a mouse is like trying to make a pencil drawing with a big hunk of sidewalk chalk. It just "ain't gonna" happen. My dad always told us kids to use the right tool for the job, even if it meant fashioning one yourself. The man could fix anything with a roll of duct tape and a piece of baling wire. For quite some time, I have been wanting a digital pen & tablet but the cost had been too much for me. Most I had looked at were upwards of $200.

Yesterday, as I was surfing the web looking for useful info on digital illustration, I ran across a blog by Lorraine Dey. She talks about making the transition from traditional illustrator to digital. She recommends using a Wacom pen and tablet. Well, I strolled on over to Wacom to check it out. The one they recommend for art is the Wacom Bamboo, available at Amazon. On over to Amazon I went. I read several customer reviews on this little jewel and couldn't find a bad review in the bunch. Low and behold, the price was about a fourth of any I had looked at in the past. Granted, you can get one with all the bells and whistles at a higher price but I figure the Bamboo will be a good one for me to learn on. It comes with software for using it with Photoshop and Corel Draw but I am hoping I can use it with either the GIMP, Paint, or Open Office Draw programs that I have now. If not, I will just have to wait and use it with the new computer and software I will be getting through Voc. Rehab. Adaptive Services has received my paperwork so I am waiting to get an appointment with them. In the meantime, I am studying digital graphics programs as much as possible and working with what I have now. Life is good and God is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment