Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mission Statement

It is my intention to use this blog to allow people to follow my progress as I attempt to transition from being a traditional illustrator to a computer graphics illustrator. Since my degree in Advertising Design was obtained in 1983 it is quite antiquated. Computers have taken over my field since I was taking time to raise my children. During those years I freelanced and did mostly portraits and other drawing and painting. Now I want to get into computer graphics and since I am also a diabetic, I can qualify for assistance from the Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitation. Because I already have a degree in my field, they can not provide me with classes or a new degree but they can help with getting me a new computer and software so that I can compete in today's market.  I will be using online tutorials and books to learn Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.

Because I am also a substitute teacher, mother of three; one grown and a mom herself, one in college, and one multi-handicapped in high school, my blogs may diverse into these other areas from time to time. It is my hope that sharing my experiences will be of some help to others. Comments and advise are welcome.

When my children were little, I home schooled them and had the pleasure of teaching my daughters how to read. The book I used was called, "How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons." They loved that book. It was full of silly little stories that they found to be hilarious. Teaching them to read really was easy. I loaned that book to a friend and have since lost touch with her and the book is gone. I recently found a copy at Amazon and ordered it for my son. He has limited speech, mostly nouns. I hope he will become as interested in learning to read from this book as his sisters were. He knows most of the alphabet, from flash cards now, so I can't wait to see if he can learn to read and improve his language skills. I will keep you posted on that topic, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment