Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Learning To Read

Yay! The book I ordered for my son, Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons, came in the mail yesterday. We had our first lesson last night. He did really well. He even made the sounds for "if" and "sister". I am even more encouraged now that he will learn to read with this book, just like his sisters did.

I hope you have been enjoying the "How To Draw" videos I have been posting. As you can tell, I have been experimenting with the best way to light my drawing table so that the paper comes out white in the video and so that the shadows aren't too harsh. In the first one I shot, "How to Draw A Caterpillar", the paper looked brown instead of white. The more light I put on it the darker the paper became. I finally had to call in the photography expert, my brother (randallgreenimages.com) for assistance. He reminded me of something I had forgotten, since my days as an illustrator/photographer at Tinker Air Force Base. He reminded me that the automatic setting on a camera/camcorder will try to balance the scene to middle gray (halfway between black and white.) It was making the white paper look gray. That's why automatic cameras have a little snowman setting for shooting snowy scenes.

When I took away all the lights, except for one window light and one fill light on the other side, the exposure was much better and the paper looked more white. The only problem with this was that now, the camera had trouble focusing because there wasn't enough light. I moved the fill light closer and that helped it to be able to focus better. That light is so hot and bright that it creates a hot spot on the back of my drawing hand so I will purchase a cool fluorescent light for use in future videos.

If there are specific drawing/painting techniques you would like to see me post a video for, please leave a comment and I will see what I can do. I'm still waiting to hear from the Oklahoma Department of Vocational Rehabilitation about my new computer and illustration software. It's a wonderful program but they have so many clients, and so few counselors, that it does take quite awhile for things to get moving. I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment