Friday, August 20, 2010

Count Your Blessings

The other day I read a blog posted by a young graphic designer who was complaining that she hated her job, had a big pimple, and her neighbor was mad at her because her garbage can stinks. I only wish those were my biggest problems. I wish I had a graphic design job to complain about. My handicapped son has acne so bad one whole side of his face looks like raw hamburger meat, and we have very little garbage because we use or reuse almost everything we have.

It really irritates me that so many young people just don't realize how good they have it. In this country they are given a free education and yet many of them sit in class and do nothing because they are bored and have no motivation to learn. They just want the bell to ring so they can go home and play on their video games. They are obsessed with their looks and spend tons of mommy and daddy's money on the latest fashions and make up and don't seem to have any thoughts deeper than which shoes would look best with these jeans. My car is the oldest and most beat up car in the parking lot at the high school where I work part-time as a substitute teacher.

Don't get me wrong. There are many young people who do work really hard, are polite and considerate of others, and are making a positive contribution to society. My daughters are among those and I am very proud of them, but they seem to be the acceptation to the rule.

It really concerns me that before long, these whining slackers who are the majority will be running this country and I will be really old and at their mercy. I can only hope to be raptured out of here before that happens. For now, I will go on studying computer graphics and do my best to earn a living with it. I will pray that my son's acne responds better to the medications he is on for it and be grateful to God that we have a roof over our heads, food on the table, and a home filled with love for one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment